Comprehensive Twitter Interest Category List
Updated November 8, 2021.
In planning new Twitter campaigns, it can be helpful to begin by scouring Twitter’s target interest lists. The topics you find in these interest lists can quickly turn into full-fledged ideas and solid directions for your campaign. You can use the topics you find to help target your campaigns to those users who will find them the most helpful and interesting. The comprehensive lists within the campaign engine use data from a vast number of tweets and lists to group the most relevant Twitter topics, thus helping marketers see what topics Twitter followers are most engaged with at the moment.
However, many brainstormers like to write out their campaigns on paper or in excel before creating a new campaign in the actual engine. Currently, the topic lists available outside of the actual Twitter campaign engine leave something wanting. They aren’t comprehensive or ordered in a way that is helpful in creating campaign plans, and therefore aren’t ideal for most marketers beginning a new Twitter campaign outside of the campaign engine.
To solve this problem, we thought it would be helpful to have a quick reference to Twitter's interests as you brainstorm your campaign buildout. So, here it is. A list of Twitter's interest categories and sub-interests.
Before we begin with the list, let’s cover just a few Twitter campaign best practices:
- Twitter recommends that you do not have more than two interest categories per campaign or more than 10 sub-interests in one campaign. Interests are broken down into interest categories and sub-interests. Some interest categories have up to 25 sub-interests. When you select an interest category and run a campaign with many sub-interests, be sure to check it frequently and refine your sub-interest targeting to include only the best performers.
- When choosing more than one interest to target, be sure that the interests you choose are related. For example, if you are advertising for a golf shop, you can target golf and may include men's tops or men's pants. This way users aren’t confused by the content, and your campaign is able to target interested followers more easily.
Twitter Interest Category List
- Books and Literature
- Family and Parenting
- Food and Drink
- Hobbies and Interests
- Home and Garden
- Law, Government, and Politics
- Life Stages
- Movies and Television
- Music and Radio
- Personal Finance
- Style and Fashion
- Technology and Computing
Categories and Sub-interests
- Automotive news and general info
- Car culture
- Hybrid and electric vehicles
- Off-road vehicles
- Performance vehicles
- Vintage cars
There is no replacement for planning good targeting into your campaigns, and thereby getting your content in front of those users with the greatest chance of converting. Well, now you can sleep well at night with the knowledge that you are planning smart campaigns with a reference list that leans on data, targets interested followers, allows you to plan more efficiently, and just generally makes your job a whole lot easier. We hope you enjoy using this Twitter interest category list as a reference guide in creating your next campaign, and never feel those same frustrations ever again.
Note: The rest of the categories and sub-interests have been omitted for brevity, but you would continue with the same pattern as shown above for the entire list.