By: Vince Blackham

Trends & Buzzwords from Mozcon 2013 [Infographic]

July 15, 2013


That’s a wrap for Mozcon 2013 and from the looks of it, it was a huge success. Unfortunately, the 97th Floor team wasn’t able to make it this year, but we kept a close watch on everything with a new interactive tool we created. With it, we were able to hear and see all the talk that was going on over at Mozcon and we found some pretty interesting stuff. Take a look at our recap of some of the most talked about speakers, topics, and mentions from all 3 days of the conference. We started saving the Hashtag info Monday July 8th at 6am EST and stopped monitoring it around 9am PST Thursday morning, the day after the conference.

mozcon 2013

Mozcon was mentioned 18,557 times over the course of the 3 days!

Of all the social networks being talked about, Twitter had nearly twice as many mentions as Facebook, Slideshare, Pinterest, and LinkedIn combined.

It was no surprise to hear many speaking about the importance of a mobile presence. “Mobile” received over 10 times as many mentions than did “desktop”. Site owners, if you haven’t created a mobile version of your site, you’re behind the curve.

The battle for SEO vs Social rages on. Though, at this point, they really should work hand-in-hand with each other. SEO received 769 mentions versus social’s 346.

In a world ruled by pandas and penguins, it was great to see content as the most talked about topic during Mozcon. Link building still came in strong with 323 mentions, but it was trumped by content’s 862. Get those creative juices flowing and start thinking of something worth reading.

Branding was also heavily mentioned. It was a bit of a shocker to see relationships only receiving 50 mentions though. As a brand, listening to your customers and getting to know them seems like priority #1. Interesting to see these two keywords at different ends of the spectrum.

Here are some notable quotes from the top 8 mentioned speakers (in order of most mentions):

Rand Fishkin – 1,004 mentions

    • 98% of Americans distrust information on the web.
    • Why do we act like all we’re trying to do is bump rankings to #1? Give me a #5 position with great content and I can guarantee I’ll go up in the ranks.
    • Generosity prioritizes long-term serendipity over short term ROI.
    • Ingredients observed in every great piece of marketing:  transparent, authentic, generous, fun, and empathetic.

Avinash Kaushik – 917 mentions

      • Most peoples’ brand experience now will be digital and not walking into their stores.
      • If you’ve created a good mobile experience, congratulations you’ve solved a big problem…for 2009.

Aleyda Solis – 680 mentions

      • Localize everything. It’s fundamental.
      • Get a native to help avoid mistakes.
      • International SEO ROI Calculator:

Pete Meyers – 628 mentions

      • If you’re doing RCS without the RC, know what you’re left with? Shit.
      • Google’s job is not to build the perfect, fair environment, their job is to model the real world.
      • Of 10,000 SERPs, only 15% had 10 blue links, the remaining 85% had some form of rich information.

Phil Nottingham – 585 mentions

      • If you’re putting your branded videos on Youtube, you could be losing 99% of your potential traffic/clicks/audience.
      • Measure engagement, not views.
      • Do 1 piece of content every 3 months instead of 3 pieces of content every month.

Wil Reynolds – 521 mentions

      • Don’t hit enter when searching on Google. You can lean a lot about what people want by looking at those suggestions.
      • Use IFTTT triggers to email you things like new links to an infographic, new questions asked by a competitor on Quora, and journalist request requests from Twitter hashtags.
      • Want to know if you’re doing RCS? Search for your assets with your brand name.

Annie Cushing – 474 mentions

      • Keyword-level data is a thing of the past. Get over it.
      • Any metric you’re isolating per keyword is junk data. Going after it is a fool’s errand.
      • You have to know how to work pivot tables in order to get any kind of insight. It’s one of the most critical skills you have to know as a marketer.

Joanna Lord – 474 mentions

      • Companies will not succeed without loyalty.
      • There should be a budget, conversations, and quarterly planning for brand loyalty marketing.
      • Building a loyal audience is a requirement, it’s the new standard.

Ruth Burr – 801 mentions (Honorable mention for live-tweeting the event. Thanks, Ruth!)

Thanks to all the speakers for their great insight and time to share their findings with us. If you haven’t viewed their slides yet, you can download them here and get all the juicy goodness for yourselves.

Share this Image On Your Site

Written by Vince Blackham on July 15, 2013

Follow me: