I have been messing around a lot lately with Twitter and just trying to “get it”, and I finally have and want to share my top 10 reasons for using it. I suggest everyone become a part of Twitter today and add me as a friend! If you can get past the site showing quite a few time out errors, and the slowness of it right now, you will love what you can learn from it, and what it can do for you! Here’s why:
- It gives you another static address (with your name or keyword in it – hint hint) Can anyone say more reputation management tools.
- Its an easy way to stay up to date (and seeing what people are doing) that you want to stay up to date with.
- An amazing place to find new friends and connections. You will show up on other peoples “friends” list, and I have found this has been a great tool for more traffic to my site.
- It is quick and easy to read – you can find really good info in just a few seconds without having to read a huge long post. (not that thats bad, but sometimes you want to just hear the most important stuff right away and be done with it).
- You can stay up to date with what people are doing via instant message, or cell phone text messages through Twitter.
- Whatever industry you are in, and depending on the type of people that are your friends on Twitter you can stay up to date (to the minute) of industry news.
- Twitter gives you new things (and people) to blog about.
- Twitter gives you tools to easily integrate into your website (keeping to the web 2.0 oooish feel) so your readers can see what you are up to at present!
- You can RSS your Twitter Feed and use it on other websites (if you so feel the desire)
- Everybody is doing it, so if you are not then you are gonna be left behind … again!
As long as Twitter can fix a few of the server issues they seem to be having I think its something that I (and many others in the search industry) will keep using for some time to come! Great job (hat tip) Twitter!