In the world of Search Engine Marketing and Optimization you can get lost. Everyday you receive an email from a company claiming they can get you to the top of the search engines in as “little as 48 hours” etc. How do you sift through the legit stuff and the people that just want to take your money. Its easy, start with the basics and go from there.
Here’s how: When I say start with the basics, I really do mean basics. Most internet business owners do not have a clue when it comes to how search engines work. They don’t realize how they will be found, or for that matter don’t even have a clue when it comes to keyword research and analysis (or that they even need to do it).
Start off by making sure people are even searching for what you have to offer. There are many keyword research tools out there for keyword research like the one we offer here at 97thfloor, or the keyword selector tool from Yahoo! Once you find out that people are looking for what you have to offer, go and look at how many people you are going up against. Once you find more targeted keywords to go after you have the basic information you need to start building content for your website, as well as what you will use for all the “meta” and other various tags that your onsite optimization will need.
Here’s a checklist:
- Make sure people are looking for what you have to offer.
- Keyword research and analysis
- Come up with a list of keywords related to what you are selling.
- Narrow down that list to top 20 based on how targeted, and how many searches.
- Make sure you are not going up against 30 million other people on Google.
- Start writing content based on keywords.
- Start filling in the blanks of the meta and various tags of your site.
Its easy to overlook the simple things, thats why its best to get into the basics now and again. Start off slow and you will grow and get rewarded in the long run for doing things the right way.